It is predicted that the UK will have a hot summer to look forward to. As people go out and make the most of the beautiful weather after the wet winter here are a handful of summer essentials that you will need in order to make the most of the sunshine!
Look after your skin
It is vital to protect your skin from too much sun exposure with sunscreens of at least SPF 15, hats and clothing especially at the highest risk times of day between 11am – 3pm when the sun’s intensity is at its strongest. In fact during the middle of the day it is advised to be in a shaded area due to the UV rays in sunlight. The UV rays are the main causes for skin ageing and skin cancer, therefore, skin protection helps to keep skin looking healthy and youthful.
However, sunlight is essential for your body to make vitamin D, which is a vital component for healthy bones. Our body makes vitamin D from direct sunlight on skin; therefore, it is recommended that people spend short stints outside (10-15mins) without any sunscreens on so your body can produce enough vitamin D.
Protect your eyes
Sunglasses are designed to prevent bright and high-energy sunlight from damaging your eyes or from any discomfort from the intense light. According to the NHS, long-term exposure without sunglasses, like a day at the beach, can cause a temporary but painful burn to the surface to the eye, similar to sunburn on the skin. When looking for an appropriate pair of sunglasses you need to choose one that has either the CE Mark and British Standard (BS EN 1836:2005), a UV 400 label or they have a statement that says they offer 100% UV protection.
Lack of water when you are out in the sun can cause heat exhaustion, which is caused when the body can’t lose heat fast enough which can develop to heat stroke which is dangerous. Therefore, it is important to stay hydrated in the hot weather by drinking around 3 litres of water; this will also help to keep you hydrated and your skin in good condition. To help ensure that you drink enough it is good to keep a water bottle with you during your day out.
Spice up your summer wardrobe with accessories
An easy and cost-effective way to refresh your summer wardrobe is to dress-up or dress-down your outfits with accessories. This way you can wear the same clothes and by teaming it with different accessories for each occasion you can create a completely new look.
Pack those beach essentials
The summer wouldn’t be the same without a day or two at the beach, so packing the right beach essentials will ensure you have a great day out. Here are 7 great beach essentials for a fun day out on the beach:
- Beach towel – there are some fab towels for sale in the UK at the moment. One of the best is the FOUTA beach towel which can be used as a bath towel, picnic blanket, sarong, throw and table cloth.
- Swimming costume – UK retail stores have seen record sales of the one-piece swim suit where people are opting for these instead of a bikini.
- Book – catch up on your reading with a great book whilst you relax on the beach.
- Sunscreen, Sunglasses + sun hat for your skin and eye protection.
- Water bottle so you can stay hydrated
- Large beach bag to pack all your essentials for your day at the beach.
- Beach games and body boards to keep you, friends and family entertained throughout the day.